My top posts of 2021


It's not been a prolific year for as as far as writing is concerned. Let's be honest - the most productive days for this blog were in the aftermath of the 2011 General Election and during the independence referendum. But I still enjoy keeping it going and perhaps, if I can ever again find the time I used to be able to devote to writing, my output may increase in the future.

Below are the most widely read posts of 2021. 

6. What the Scottish Parliamentary told us - and what it didn't. May's elections certainly weren;t good for the Scottish Liberal Democrats.

5. Why I'm still a member of the Lib Dems. It may surprise people, but I have no intention of jumping ship.

4. Thank you, Willie Rennie. I understood his decision but was saddened that Willie Rennie stepped down as leader, and thanked him for his efforts over the last decade. 

3. How should the Liberal Democrats respond to growing support for independence? I argued that "we should not deny the democratic mandate pro-independence parties have secured should they win the majority all pollsters are forecasting." 

2. Holyrood election 2021: What went wrong for the Liberal Democrats? I take a closer look at a disastrous result.

1. No, Keir Starmer did not help Jimmy Savile escape justice. My most popular post of 2021 was actually written in April 2020, but has now been read by almost 100,000 people. The fact that this post has been accessed over ten times more frequently than any other sums up the state of British politics at this time. 

Comments