Christine Jardine "will not be Lib Dem candidate" at next election

Christine Jardine MP (Photo: The Scotsman)


Christine Jardine, the Liberal Democrat MP for Edinburgh West has confirmed she will not stand as a Liberal Democrat at the next General Election.

This is what Christine has shared on her social media channels:


Note that she says "I'm said I won't be there". The decision is clearly not one she wanted to make.

In a fuller statement, she says: "I have written to my local party to let them know I shall not be standing as the Scottish Liberal Democrat candidate for Edinburgh West at the next election, following the recent decision by some of the local party.

"I have informed them that although I am able to request a ballot of the membership, it is with a heavy heart I have decided not to pursue this. I do not wish to expose anyone to more tension and division.

"I shall continue to represent my constituents with the care I have always sought to bring over the last nine years.

"It has been, and remains, an honour and a privilege to represent this part of the city, and to work with our fantastic communities."

I read the statement on Lib Dem Voice before looking at other news sources. I was surprised by the decision and had no idea what Christine meant by "recent decision" or the "tension and division" she refers to. While Christine takes care to avoid specific details, she is clearly describing a situation that is painful for her and is suggesting that her local party is in what I will diplomatically call an unhealthy state.

Whatever the precise facts of the matter, the optics are terrible. This looks like some kind of localised coup. 

The Independent goes further and provides some background. It states that Christine "had failed to get reselected by her constituency party’s executive committee and has decided not to push for a vote of all the members in the seat." It also claims that "allies" of Christine have stated that "she was being forced out in favour of an ally of the party’s Scottish leader, Alex Cole-Hamilton."

The Scotsman surmises that "the announcement by the MP for Edinburgh West comes amid speculation of a deteriorating relationship between Ms Jardine and Alex Cole-Hamilton."

I may be reading too much into Christine's statement, but as a former journalist I imagine she chooses her words carefully. I note that she does not say she will not stand in the next General Election, only that she will not stand as the Scottish Liberal Democrat candidate. Make of that what you will. 

Without knowing exact circumstances I can't comment further on what has led to Christine's decision. However, I am quite sure that there is nothing that has happened that will not be brought to light in the near future and I am concerned that this may reflect badly on the party. Again, I am being diplomatic. 

Christine has a majority of 16.470, the sixth-largest of any Lib Dem MP, and is well respected across the political spectrum. Her work on equalities, and in particular the Domestic Abuse Act, quite rightly earned her admiration from colleagues and party members. It is not necessary to agree with her advocacy of the Terminally Ill Adults (End of Life) Bill to recognise her principled and tireless work to change the law, or her desire to bring more dignity in dying to people with terminal conditions. Christine has often spoken up for people who need a champion, such as Ukrainian refugees.

In addition to this she has been one of the strongest Liberal voices in Parliament for the last nine years and her ability to grow her majority suggests she is an effective constituency MP.

I am sorry that Christine feels the need to make this announcement and, while I cannot say that I fully understand the decision, I naturally wish her all the best for the future. I would like to thank her for the work she has done, and which she will undoubtedly continue to do, in serving both Liberalism and the constituents of Edinburgh West.


Comments